Open Air Electives is an outdoor drop-off program for K-6th Grade homeschool students featuring Art, PE, and other elective classes as a package deal offered by local businesses in Loudoun County, VA.
Base Package Information
We are proud to announce that GamePoint Athletics will offer Physical Education and the Loudoun Chapter of Abrakadoodle will offer Art as the Base Package at all locations. These classes take place during the first two hours, and students will be grouped according to their birthdate into either the Early or Upper Elementary class. A third elective may be added during the last hour for an optional and additional cost (see below). The base package is priced at $250/student, and includes 8 weeks of classes, all overhead and rental fees associated with running Open Air, as well as access to community-style field trips on Fridays.
P.E. by GamePoint Athletics
Physical Education offers a variety of enriching activities that focus on teamwork, friendly competition, skill development, and tons of fun! Children will participate in various types of PE games that involve tag, parachute, relays, and strategic invasion games such as Capture the Jewels. Throughout the Fall and Spring, children will also participate in sports units including soccer, flag football, wiffle ball, Omni-kin ball, games with paddles, extreme kickball, nerf dodgeball, and more! Each class, children will learn the value of a specific character trait (such as resilience or courage) and the value it has for their lives. This typically happens in short 5 minute small groups, and throughout the lesson as the children are engaging in the curriculum in fun and interactive ways.
Supplies: Students will need closed-toe sneakers and a water bottle.
Art by Abrakadoodle
The Abrakadoodle art experience engages children with art lessons that will inspire your child’s imagination. Our program is intended to be an art enrichment class where children will explore a variety of art mediums and techniques. The students will utilize materials such as watercolors, paint, oil pastels, air dry clay and more to create their own unique artwork. Our emphasis is learning through the process of art and having fun. Students will create and bring home a new piece of artwork each week.
Supplies: Students will need to purchase the following supplies for their individual art kits before the start of class:
- Colored Markers
- Glue stick
- Pencil box or large ziplock baggie to transport supplies
- We also recommend fingerless gloves for cold days
3rd Hour Options – You Pick!
Once you have registered for the Base Package, you may opt to add on a 3rd Hour Elective. These electives may vary by location and cost. The links to register for the 3rd Hour classes will be emailed to you after your Base Package registration is processed. For Fall 2022, we are featuring several options for you! Choose one of the following:
- Drama class (K-6th) for $155 by Drama Kids.
- STEM class for $165 by Stemtree
- Music class (3rd-6th) for $125 by The Catoctin School of Music
- Music Makers class (K-2nd) for $125 by Musikgarten
- CLAUDE MOORE PARK ONLY: Nature Study class (K-6th) for $60 by Loudoun Parks & Rec Naturalists
Fall Semester Dates at Claude Moore Park
Fall 2022 Semester will last 8 weeks and includes the following dates and times:
Mondays, 9 – 11 AM, beginning Sept 12 – Nov 7, 2022. Make up dates for weather closures include November 14 and 21. No class on Columbus Day/ Indigenous Peoples Day (October 10). The 3rd hour optional classes take place from 11 AM – 12 PM.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
The primary goals for Open Air Electives are 1) excellent education programs, and 2) low-risk environments for staff and students. While there will always be a risk associated with infectious diseases, we are committed to the following safety protocols to lower that risk. Here’s what you can expect at Open Air:
- Class will be offered outdoor only. (There will be indoor restrooms available.) The weather plan for Open Air is class cancellation the night before, and a make-up class will be activated at the end of the semester. When all available make-up dates have been exhausted, classes may be offered live online in the event of additional weather closures.
- Masks will be optional for students and instructors while outdoors.
- Any shared spaces and supplies will be disinfected between classes.
- Restrooms will be limited to 1 student at a time.
- Social distancing is no longer in place. We do reserve the right to reinstate social distancing mid-semester in the event of a resurgence of COVID or change in state mandates.